USS New Haven was a Cleveland-class light cruiser laid down on August 11, 1941 and reclassified as an aircraft carrier and renamed USS Belleau Wood. Thus, it was launched on December 6, 1942 and commissioned on March 31, the following year under Capt. A. M. Pride’s command with the hull number CVL-24. It served in the US Navy for 4 years until it was decommissioned on January 13, 1947. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 1,569 people on board and had the main missions in Kwajalein, Majuro, Saipan, Tinian, Guam, Truk, Morotai, Luzon, Leyte, Iwo Jima or San Diego. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on October 1, 1960, after it was previously sold to France in 1953 where it was renamed Bois Belleau. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Belleau Wood received 12 battle stars.
Died on 10/24/1944
Died on 10/30/1944