The SS John W. Griffiths was a Liberty ship built at J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida, during World War II. The ship was named after John Willis Griffiths, an American naval architect who created the first extreme clipper ship. The SS John W. Griffiths was just one of many navy ships built at a time when asbestos was largely used in on-board equipment, including boilers, pump, turbines, valves, and electrical components.
The SS John W. Griffiths was allocated to Blidberg & Rothchild Co., Inc., on 25 March 1944. On 19 May 1946, she was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, in the James River Group, in Lee Hall, Virginia. On 7 January 1947, the ship was transferred to the Italian Government, which in turn sold her to Corrado Socite di Navigazione, Genoa, Italy, for $544,506. In 1963, she was sold to Sicilarma Societa di Navigazione per Azioni, Genoa, and scrapped in Spezia in 1965.