The SS Nathan B. Forrest was a Liberty ship built at J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida, during World War II. The cargo ship was named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate Army general during the American Civil War. The SS Nathan B. Forrest was laid down on 2 October 1943, under a Maritime Commission contract, and launched on 13 November 1943. The fact that asbestos is highly fire-resistant made it ideal for use on seagoing vessels. Asbestos was the insulation of choice for boilers, engine rooms, steam pipes, and ships’ interiors. An increased risk of developing asbestos-related illnesses was later found among naval personnel and shipyard workers. The SS Nathan B. Forrest was allocated to American Export Lines Inc., on 29 December 1943. Two years later she was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, in the James River Group, Lee Hall, Virginia. On 31 July 1972, she was sold for to N.V. Intershitra, Rotterdam, for scrapping and removed from the fleet on 21 August 1972.