The SS William B. Woods, a Liberty ship built during World War II was named after William B. Woods, an Associate Justice, Supreme Court of the United States, and Ohio General Assembly member. The ship was laid down on July 21, 1942, under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1490) by J. A. Jones Construction, Brunswick, Georgia.
The ship was sponsored by Mrs. Emil J. Kratt and after the launch on April 7, 1943, the ship was allocated to the A. H. Bull & Company, Inc. on May 31, 1943. Most of the sailors and shipbuilders associated with the liberty ship have been exposed to asbestos as a high amount of asbestos was used in the ship’s engine rooms, turbines, and boilers. Tragically, the ship was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-952 near Palermo, Italy on March 10, 1944.