USS Blue Jay was a Bird-Class 1 coastal minesweeper laid down in 1936 and launched the same year. It was commissioned on June 22, 1941 under Lt. Hiram S. Walker Jr’s command and served in the US Navy for 5 years until it was decommissioned on April 15, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 16 men on board and it had the main missions within the detachment of the 4th Naval District. After the decommissioning, USS Blue Jay was converted to a diving tender. On May 8, 1946 the ship was struck from the Navy List and transferred to the Maritime Commission.