The USS Bollinger (APA-234) was a Haskell-class attack transport laid down on October 7, 1944, and launched on November 19, the same year. It was commissioned on December 9, 1944, under Comdr. C. A. Printup’s command, with the hull number APA-234 and it served in the U.S. Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned on April 1, 1947. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 536 people on board and had its main missions in San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Saipan, Wakayama, Okinawa, San Francisco, Bikini Atoll, and Eniwetok. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on May 22, 1947. For the services brought to the country during World War II, the USS Bollinger received 2 battle stars. The widespread use of asbestos in the military during the 1930s through the 1980s put many United States servicemen and women at risk of developing an asbestos-related disease. Service members, especially from the Navy and Coast Guard, were at high risk of exposure to this dangerous material.