The USS Laub (DD-613) was a Benson-class destroyer laid down on May 1, 1941, and launched on April 28, the following year. It was commissioned on October 24, 1942, under Lt. Comdr. J. F. Gallaher’s command with the hull number DD-613 and served in the US Navy for 4 years until it was decommissioned on February 2, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 276 people on board and had its main missions in Panama Canal, Norfolk, New York, Casablanca, Oran, Mers el Kebir, and Maine. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on July 1, 1971, and sold for scrapping in 1975. For the services brought to the country during World War II, the USS Laub received 4 battle stars.
Navy personnel involved in the renovation and repair processes and who directly handled asbestos-based products used on Navy ships, or worked below deck prior to the 1980s were most likely exposed to asbestos. Most sailors did not wear proper protective clothing and face masks placing them in direct contact with friable asbestos.