USS Lowry was an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer laid down on August 1, 1943 and launched on February 6, the following year. It was commissioned on July 23, 1944 under Comdr. L. H. Martin’s command with the hull number DD-770 and served in the US Navy for 29 years until it was decommissioned in 1973. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 336 people on board and had the main missions in Pearl Harbor, Leyte, Ulithi, Iwo Jima or Mindoro Island. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on October 31, 1973 and sold to Brazil the same day where it was renamed Espirito Santo. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Lowry received 4 battle stars and another two for the activity during the Korean War.
88 years old