As a Victory ship, the USS Marvin H. McIntyre was built by the California Shipbuilding Corporation in 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract. The ship was sponsored by Mrs. F. H. Warren, daughter of McIntyre, and served during World War II, activity for which it earned one battle star. Originally named Arlington after the Arlington County of Virginia, the ship was renamed in memorial of Marvin H. McIntyre, Secretary to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who died in office in 1943. This makes it the only Haskell-class attack transport ship which was not named after a county. Because it was laid down in the middle of the last century, the USS Marvin H. McIntyre was laden with asbestos, which greatly endangered the health of the people who were serving aboard it. Exposure to asbestos, which occurs when one inhales or ingests asbestos fibers from the air, is responsible for awful diseases, such as lung cancer and mesothelioma. Thereby, veterans who were present on the USS Marvin H. McIntyre must regularly undergo medical examination. In 1973, the ship was sold for scrap.