USS S-4 was an S-class submarine laid down on December 4, 1917 and launched on August 27, 1919. It was commissioned on November 19, the same year under Lt. Cmdr. Percy K. Robottom’s command with the hull number SS-109 and it served in the US Navy for 8 years before it was sunk on December 17, 1927. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 42 people on board and had the main missions in New London, Pearl Harbor, New England, San Francisco, Mare Island or Havana. After its decommissioning in 1933, the ship was struck from the Navy Register on January 15, 1936.