The USS South Carolina (BB-26) was a South Carolina-class battleship laid down on December 18, 1906, and launched on July 11, 1908. It was commissioned on March 1, 1910, with the hull number BB-26 and served in the US Navy for 11 years until it was decommissioned on December 15, 1921. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 869 men on board and had its main missions in New York, Cherbourg, Portland, New England, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Kronstadt, Newport, Cuba, Tampico, Brest, and San Diego. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy Register on November 10, 1923, and subsequently sold for scrapping. Like all other ships built before the 1970s, the USS South Carolina (BB-26) was constructed using a number of asbestos-containing materials. The ship’s crew members were likely to breathe in large amounts of asbestos fibers when they were sleeping, eating, and serving their country in battle. Those that worked in shipyards were also at serious risk for asbestos exposure, as they handled the materials that were built, repaired, or removed from naval vessels as part of their job.