The USS Tallahatchie County (LST-1154) was the second of only two Talbot County-class tank landing ships (LSTs) built for the United States Navy just after World War II. The ship was laid down on 4 August 1945 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 19 July 1946; sponsored by Mrs. Wilder D. Baker; and commissioned on 24 May 1949 with LCDR James W. McBrier in command. The ship provided support to aviation units in the Mediterranean; it was decommissioned on 3 January 1970 and struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 15 July 1970. It was sold for scrapping to Contieri Navali Santa Maria of Genoa, Italy in July 1970. Long-term exposure to asbestos fibers can induce lung inflammation and scarring, which can lead to breathing problems. Much of the asbestos exposure suffered aboard the USS Tallahatchie County (LST-1154/AVB-2) occurred in the boiler rooms, engine rooms, navigation rooms, weapons and ammunition storage rooms, and even mess halls and sleeping quarters.