USS Willard Keith was an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer laid down on March 5, 1944 and launched on August 29, the same year. It was commissioned on December 27, 1944 under Comdr. Lewis L. Snyder’s command with the hull number DD-775 and served in the US Navy for 28 years until it was decommissioned on July 1, 1972. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 336 people on board and had the main missions in Newport, Cuba, New York, Norfolk or the Gulf of Mexico. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on July 15, 1972 and sold to Colombia the same day where it was renamed Caldas. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Willard Keith received two battle stars.