Originally known as Anderson Shipyard, this shipyard was bought by Charles Burckhardt and renamed Lake Washington Shipyards in 1923. The new shipyard converted to steel shipbuilding. During World War II, the workforce of Lake Washington Shipyard grew to 9,000 employees, and it was a major repairer of small ships and a notable builder. It closed in the 1960s, and today, the commercial and residential development at Carillon Point occupies the former shipyard site. However, everyone who was employed at Lake Washington Shipyard was exposed to asbestos, which places former workers today at high risk of lung disease. When disturbing asbestos products, such as insulation and floor tiles, employees would release toxic dust in the air they would breathe.