The Southern Shipyard in Slidell was established in the 1880s and knew restructuring many times: in 1914 became Slidell Shipbuilding and, in 1919, changed to Canulette Shipbuilding. In 1954 was sold and renamed J. & S. Shipbuilding, had a short activity period before selling again in 1957 and was renamed Southern Shipbuilding, which closed in 1993. The shipyard fabricated and repaired tender boats, tugboats, and landing crafts for the Navy. Asbestos exposure was likely during the construction and repair process, as the mineral was crucial for shipbuilding during the last century. The employees worked without wearing protective gear such as respirators and constantly inhaled and ingested toxic dust, putting them in danger of lung disease.