The shipyard was established in 1897 as Joseph Weaver and Son Shipyard in Orange, Texas. The shipyard built barges, steam tugboats and performed repair work. The company's name was changed to Weaver Shipyards in 1941 and during World War II had contracts to construct wooden minesweepers and sub chasers. After its activity during World War II, Weaver Shipyards carried on with its ship repair work. Asbestos was present at the facility due to its use in insulating. The workers were exposed during installation and maintenance work. As they handled the material, asbestos fibers could be easily inhaled and ingested, putting employees at risk for health concerns.