In 1852, W.F. Robertson opened a foundry and machine shop in Beverly, Ohio, but was forced to relocate to Marietta, Ohio, in 1870, after a fire destroyed his complex. In 1892, the Robertsons sold the company, and it was renamed Marietta Manufacturing Company. They continued the production of steamboat equipment until 1913 when a flood destroyed the complex in Marietta and nearly led them to bankruptcy. At the beginning of the 20th century, under Walter Windsor's leadership, Marietta Manufacturing Company soon became one of the largest inland shipyards in the United States. However, people who were employed there to manufacture ships were heavily exposed to asbestos, which is why today, they are at high risk of developing lung cancer and mesothelioma.