The USS Barricade (ACM-3) was a Chimo-class minelayer laid down in 1942 as USAMP Colonel John Storey and commissioned on April 7, 1944, as USS Barricade under Lt. Charles P. Haber’s command with the hull number ACM-3 and served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on June 28, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 69 people on board and had its main missions in Bizerte, Naples, Toulon, Salerno, Oran, Norfolk, Panama Canal, San Diego and Anzio. After decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on July 19, 1946, but it was acquired by the U.S. Coast Guard and commissioned as USCGC Magnolia (WAGL-328) and it was in service for another 55 years until it was sunk following an explosion.
Similar to any other Navy ship built before 1980, the USS Barricade (ACM-3) also used a lot of asbestos, for thermal insulation and many other purposes. As the insulation ages, it becomes very friable and tends to break up, and you see deposits of asbestos fibers on floors and surfaces of engine and boiler rooms, mess halls, navigation rooms, and sleeping quarters.