Terminal Island was an important center for shipbuilding during World War II. The first California Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard was established in 1941 and located on 175 acres on the north side of Terminal Island. It initially had eight ways and later increased this to fourteen. The complex now known as the Southwest Marine complex at Terminal Island played a crucial role in building cargo ships known as the "Liberty Fleet". Renamed Naval Station Long Beach in 1946, the base included the shipyard where asbestos was used on the ships; and its facilities, where asbestos insulation was the primary contamination source, the exposure putting anyone at risk of asbestos-related diseases through inhaling and ingesting.