The SS Clara Barton was a Liberty Ship built during World War II by the California Shipbuilding Co. at their shipyards in Terminal Island. It was built under a MARCOM contract and named after Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross. It was laid down in July 1942 and launched a month after. During the war, the ship was operated by the Army Transportation Service and it was responsible for delivering cargo from the UK to the northern coast of France to assist in the Normandy Invasion in mid-1944. During its missions, the ship was hit several times and encountered heavy challenges, often sailing without escort through German E-boat infested waters but the vessel survived the war and it was scrapped in 1970.