A standard victory cargo ship with a VC2-S-AP2 type hull, the SS Bates Victory was constructed between March 9 and May 2 1945 by the California Shipbuilding Corporation of Los Angeles. She was delivered to the War Shipping Administration later in May and operated by The General Steamshipping corp. until the 3rd of July 1946, when she changed hands to the American Export Lines under a WSA bareboat charter. In 1948 the ship was transferred to A.L. Burbank & Co by the Maritime Commission (the predecessor of the WSA) and laid down in the Hudson River as part of the Reserve Fleet. She is put back in use on September 1950 when Isbrandtsen Incorporated buys her and renames her Ramsen Heights. Sold to the Valmar Shipping Agency of New York, in 1968 and then to Cia. Comercial Transatlantica some three years after she will be finally scrapped in Taiwan in 1971, bearing the name of Philomila.
Like with all ships built during the 1940s, asbestos was heavily used in her construction for shielding heat sensitive areas as well as lining pipes and plumbing. Members of her crew who worked in the boiler and engine rooms, as well as pipe fitters were especially at risk of contamination with asbestos fibers.