The SS Charles W. Stiles was a Liberty Ship built in the United States to be used for World War II operations. It was named in honor of Charles W. Stiles, an American parasitologist from Spring Valley, New York widely known for his work in American South against hookworm infestation in the early 1900s. The ship was built at the J.A. Jones Construction’s shipyards in Brunswick, Georgia in September 1944. Soon after launch, the SS Charles W. Stiles was transferred to Seas Shipping Corporation to be operated throughout the war. It was sold into private ownership in February 1947 and renamed Bygdin.