The SS Dolly Madison was a Liberty Ship built in the US to be used during World War II. It was named after the wife of James Madison, the fourth president of the United States and widely referred to as the “Father of the Constitution”. The ship was laid down at the J.A. Jones Construction’s shipyards in Panama City, Florida and launched in September 1943. During the war, the SS Dolly Madison was operated under contract by the Merchant & Miners Transportation Company until May 1946 when it was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at James River, Virginia. The next year, the vessel was sold into private ownership for commercial use and it was passed around between several companies. It developed a leak in 1964 and it was sunk in November that year.