The SS E. Kirby Smith was a Liberty Ship that was operated during World War II and named after E. Kirby Smith, a US Army officer who served during the Mexican-American War. The ship was built by J.A. Jones Construction in Panama City, Florida and launched in December 1942. The ship was allocated to Marine Transport Lines, Inc. in March 1943 to be operated throughout the war. After the war, the ship was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Lee Hall, Virginia. From 1954 until 1956, the ship was used for grain transportation and then it was sold to Boston Metals Corporation for scrapping.