The SS Edward P. Alexander was a Liberty Ship built by the United States during World War II. The ship was laid down by J.A. Jones Construction in Brunswick, Georgia in September 1943, under a MARCOM contract. After launch, the SS Edward P. Alexander was allocated to Wilmore Steamship Corporation and after the war, it was placed in the reserve fleet at Lee Hall, Virginia. In January 1947, the ship was transferred to the Italian Government and sold again to an Italian private company. The ship remained in service until January 1963 when it ran aground near the Veracruz Harbor and then scrapped in 1970.
Asbestos was present on the SS Edward P. Alexander in large amounts, since it was widely employed in shipbuilding due to its convenient properties, such as fire resistance. This represented a great health hazard for those who served on this Navy ship, which is why we strongly recommend them to undergo periodical medical examinations to prevent the development of serious diseases like asbestosis, mesothelioma or lung cancer.