The SS Elihu Root was a Liberty Ship that was built in the United States during World War II. It was named after Elihu Root, a US Senator from New York, US Secretary of War, and a Nobel Peace Prize laureate. The SS Elihu Root was built under a MARCOM contract by J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida, and launched in May 1943. After launch, the ship was allocated to Agwilines, Inc to be operated throughout the war and placed in the reserve fleet, Hudson River Group in June 1946. Starting From May 1953 to March 1963, the ship was withdrawn from the fleet several times to be used as a grain transporter. In October 1969, the SS Elihu Root was sold to Union Minerals & Alloys Corporation for scrapping.