The SS Elmira Victory, a Victory ship built during World War II by the Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation was launched on May 12, 1944, and completed on May 31, the same year. During its activity, the ship carried a complement 62 Merchant Marine and 28 US Naval Armed Guards and had delivered 6,000 pounds of ammunition for troops in the Pacific War. Asbestos exposure is common in poorly-ventilated boiler rooms and engineering spaces of such ships. In 1949, after the war, the ship was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at the Houston River and was put back in service for the Korean War and Vietnam War. The ship was finally scrapped in 1993.
18 years old