The SS Elwood Mead was a Liberty Ship used by the US Navy in World War II. The ship was named after the famous professor, politician, and engineer, Elwood Mead. He is best known as the head of the United States Bureau of Reclamation starting with 1924 until his death in 1936. The ship was laid down by the Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, in December 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Elwood Mead. The SS Elwood mead took part in the battle for the Philippines in 1944 and, after the war, was sold to Goulandris Bros, Piraeus, Greece and retired from service in 1968. It was scrapped the same year at Itozaki, Japan.