Named after Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota, which itself bore the name of the famous 17th Century Swedish king, the Gustavus Victory was launched near the end of the war, on July 9, 1945, and quickly converted into a troop transport for bringing back American GIs form Europe. During this time, members of her crew will print a small publication bearing the title of Atlantic Agony: The Landlubber’s Journal, presumably aimed at the 750 or so soldiers who made the trip back home on the Gustavus. The 75th Victory ship to be built, she is remarkable for the short time it took to be finished, at only 38 days in the Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard. With her duties in the Atlantic fulfilled, the Gustavus will be transferred to the East Asian theater where she will see the end of the war, to be soon after sold to an Argentinian company who will use it to ferry migrants from Europe.
Although a passenger ship, this might not have been the wisest decision by her operator, as the health of those on board was under constant threat from the asbestos dust that many parts of her were releasing.