The SS James B. Duke was a Liberty-class ship that was built by the U.S. to be used for war operations during World War II. It was named after the founder of the American Tobacco Company and establisher of the Duke Endowment, James Buchanan Duke. The ship was built under a Maritime Commission contract by J.A. Jones Construction in Brunswick, Georgia and launched in June 1944. After launch, the SS James B. Duke was transferred to Wessel Duval & Company to be operated during the war. It was laid up in the reserve fleet at Mobile, Alabama and later transferred to Beaumont, Texas. It was eventually sold for scrapping to Luria Brothers & Company.