The SS Joseph R. Lamar was a Liberty ship built at J.A. Jones Construction, Brunswick, Georgia, during World War II. The ship was named after Joseph Rucker Lamar, an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court appointed by President William Howard Taft and a member of the Democratic Party. The SS Joseph R. Lamar was laid down on 1 August 1942, under a Maritime Commission contract, and launched on 29 April 1943. During World War II, the construction and repair of Liberty ships relied heavily on asbestos-containing products. Asbestos was found in various areas in these ships, particularly in the boiler rooms and engineering spaces. On 28 October 1960, the SS Joseph R. Lamar was sold to Pinto Island Metals Company for $56,000, for scrapping and delivered on 8 December 1960.
USS Joseph Strauss (DDG-16) - Facts and Asbestos Exposuremore »