The SS Mexico Victory was built in just 114 days by the California Shipbuilding Company and left the yard on March 27, 1944 with the hull designation number V-7; the seventh ship of her class ever completed. Spending the war in the Pacific, the SS Mexico Victory was one of the 96 ships to be converted into a troop transport upon its completion. Under operation Magic Carpet, she made two voyages between the US East Coast and Europe to bring American troops home. Between 1950 and 1953 the SS Mexico will serve with the Merchant Marines in the Korean War as a troop and cargo transport. In 1967 the ship is sold to the Gdynia-America shipping lines of Gdansk and renamed SS Kilinsky by her new Polish operator. Her name will be changed for a second time into SS Lin after acquired by Poul Christansen of Denmark in 1967. Like many other ships of her class, she will end up scrapped in Kaohsiun, Taiwan, in 1973.
Asbestos was heavily employed throughout the ship’s construction, and conceivably none her crew was entirely safe from inhaling the dangerous mineral. However, some areas presented a higher risk of exposure, like the engine and propulsion rooms, the damage control room, or the boiler room.