The SS R. J. Reynolds was a Liberty ship built at J.A. Jones Construction, Brunswick, Georgia, during World War II. She was named after Richard Joshua Reynolds, an American businessman and founder of the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. The ship was laid down on 19 August 1944, under a Maritime Commission contract, and launched on 30 September 1944. Everyone who served on navy ships was exposed to asbestos, a construction material that has been linked to cancer and lung disease. Navy ships had asbestos in pipe lagging to insulate pipes, electrical wiring and even in flooring tiles, which is why Navy veterans make up the highest percentage of mesothelioma patients compared to other branches of the military. On 12 October 1944, the SS R. J. Reynolds was allocated to Black Diamond Steamship Co. She was sold to Boston Metals Scrap Company for scrapping, on 13 December 1957 and removed from the fleet one year later.