The SS Stephen R. Mallory was a Liberty ship built at J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida, during World War II. The ship was named after Stephen Russell Mallory, a Democratic US Senator from Florida and the Confederate States Secretary of the Navy during the American Civil War. The SS Stephen R. Mallory was laid down on 19 October 1943, under a Maritime Commission contract, and launched on 27 November 1943.
At the height of its use, asbestos was incorporated in every United States Navy ship built between the 1930s to the 1970s. The hazardous mineral could be found everywhere the sailors slept, ate, and worked, and in many of the things they used each day, from pipe insulation to friction material of brakes, paintings, and fire blankets. The SS Stephen R. Mallory was allocated to Isbrandtsen Steamship Company, on 20 January 1944. On 23 November 1971, she was sold to Eckhardt & Co., G.m.b.H., West Germany, to be scrapped.