The SS William Cox, a Liberty ship built during World War II by J.A.Jones Construction, Brunswick, Georgia was laid down on December 4, 1944, under a Maritime Commission contract. On December 31, 1944, the ship was launched and allocated to Blidberg & Rothchild CO., Inc., on January 10, 1945. The ship was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet in Wilmington, North Carolina on May 3, 1948. The construction and repair of Liberty ships relied extensively on asbestos-containing products. Boiler and steam pipe insulation, fireproofing material for bulkheads, brake linings in winches, and gaskets of valves and pipe fixtures are the common asbestos products used on Liberty ships. Finally, on July 6, 1967, the ship was sold for scrapping to Union Minerals & Alloys Corp. and was later removed from the fleet on July 28, 1967.