The SS William L. Watson, a Liberty ship built during World War II was laid down on June 06, 1944, under a Maritime Commission contract and was launched on July 13, 1944. The construction and maintenance of Liberty ships relied on asbestos-containing products such as boiler and steam pipe insulation, fireproofing material for bulkheads, brake linings in winches, and gaskets of valves and pipe fixtures. The ship was allocated to Black Diamond Steamship Co., on July 26, 1944, and after two years, the ship was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet in the Hudson River Group. Finally, on December 17, 1946, the ship was transferred to the Italian Government. After two decades, the ship developed cracks in the hull and was laid up in Spezia and was scrapped the next year.