The SS William W. Loring, a Liberty ship was laid down on November 29, 1943, under a Maritime Commission contract by J.A. Jones Construction, Florida, and was launched on January 17, 1944. The Liberty ships relied on asbestos-containing products such as boiler and steam pipe insulation, fireproofing material for bulkheads, brake linings in winches, and gaskets of valves and pipe fixtures during the construction and repair. The ship was allocated to T.J. Stevenson & Co., Inc., on March 7, 1944, and was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Alabama on November 30, 1945. After a decade, the ship was sold to Bethlehem Steel for scrapping and was removed from the fleet on October 23, 1958.