The USNS Adelphi (T-AG-181) was laid down on April 22, 1945, as SS Adelphi Victory under a Maritime Commission contract at Permanente Metals Yard No.2, Richmond, California. The ship was built under the Emergency Shipbuilding Program for World War II and then launched on June 2, 1945. The ship housed asbestos-containing products such as boiler and steam pipe insulation, fireproofing material for bulkheads, brake linings in winches, and gaskets of valves and pipe. The Marine Transport Line of San Francisco operated the ship after World War II and after the post-war duties, the ship was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet in the James River in 1947. The ship got reactivated for the Vietnam War in the year 1966 and operated under commercial charter transporting supplies to Vietnam. In 1973, the ship was laid up as part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet in Suisun Bay, California and in 1993, the ship was scrapped in China.