The Lt. Robert Craig was built during the final months of WWII by the California Shipbuilding Corporation of Los Angeles. By the time her proving was completed and delivery was made to J.H. Winchester, the ship’s first operator, the war was already over. She is transferred to the Army Transportation Service in July of 1946 and renamed USNS Lt. Robert Craig. When the Military Sea Transport Service is founded in 1950, it takes ownership of the Robert Craig and will employ it for supply runs to American bases in the central and western Pacific. Notably, she will take part in the nuclear testing program in the Marshall Islands and then supply French forces during the First Indochina War. After 1954, she will mainly be deployed to the Atlantic, completing some dozen voyages between the US East Coast and Europe throughout the subsequent decade. Her activity with the MSTS will see the Lt. Craig reaches all areas of the globe, until 1973, when she is struck and sold into civilian service, at which point her faith becomes unclear.
Like with all Boulder Victory ships of the day, asbestos was used throughout her construction, and the many commercial sailors who crewed her over the years might have ended up with respiratory problems because of it.