The USNS Phoenix (T-AG-172) was laid down on February 27, 1945, as SS Capital Victory under a Maritime Commission contract at Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, OR. It was launched on April 10, the same year. The ship was acquired by the US Navy and placed in service in July 1963 and stationed at Subic Bay, the Philippines as a forward floating depot. After a decade of service, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on June 15, 1973. Finally, the ship was sold for scrapping in August 1973 in Taiwan.