Laid down in late 1944, the Twin Falls had quite the eventful history, being called back into service a total of three times on the span of nearly 40 years. Starting her career as a Merchant Mariner vessel, she will take part in Douglas MacArthur’s uncharacteristic shot at military brilliance – the Inchon landings – and the later evacuation of Hungnam. Out of commission by 1958, she will enter (of all services...) USAF registry in 1960 and be used as a missile tracking ship for determining the accuracy of Pershing missiles. Kitted out with an AN/FPS-16 monopulse radar; an AN/SPN-8 splash detector and AN/GMD-1A tracking equipment, her crew is supplemented by civilian contractors from Pan American World Airways and RCA MTP. She was slated for disposal in 1970, but recalled by the Navy one year later for possible use as a survey ship. In 1982, she will see a short period of use as a training vessel with the New York Board of Education and finally scrapped in 1983.
It is doubtful that during her many stints of James River the asbestos that could be found throughout the ship was removed. Some areas were more dangerous to her crew than others, like the boiler room or the engine rooms. Given the high number of electronics carried on board, radio and radar rooms were not much safer either.