Stuff You Should Know
USS Adhara (AK-71) was a cargo ship belonging to the Crater-class. It served the US Navy during the Second World War. The vessel performed its duty in the Pacific theater. It was named after the star Adhara located in the constellation Canis Major, being the only ship in the Navy to have this name. The vessel was laid down in September 1942 by the Permanent Metals Corporation and launched one month later. The sponsor of this ship was Mrs. Ginny Simms, a member of the Kay Kyser Orchestra that performed for the Navy. Adhara was commissioned in November 1942 under Commander William Ball.
The ship started its duty on the 27th of November when it sailed to the South Pacific where it transported cargo for 8 months, serving the Service Squadron. In 1943, while the ship was at Guadalcanal, an explosion occurred causing damage to its haul. After repairs, the vessel rejoined the Service Squadron and served as a cargo ship in New Guinea, Guam, New Hebrides, New Georgia, Tinian, Saipan. The USS Adhara was decommissioned on 7 December 1945.