USS Alvin C. Cockrell was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort laid down on May 1, 1944 and launched on August 8, the same year. It was commissioned on August 7, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. Merrill M. Sanford’s command as DE-366 and served in the US Navy for 16 years until it was decommissioned on September 20, 1968. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 215 people on board and had the main missions in Kossol Roads, Okinawa, Guam, Eniwetok, San Diego, Peleliu, Ulithi or Pearl Harbor. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on September 23, 1968 and sunk as a target during training exercises the following year.