USS Atherton was a Cannon-class destroyer escort laid down on January 14, 1943 and launched on May 27, the same year. It was commissioned on August 29, 1943 under Lt. Comdr. Paul L. Mansell’s command with the hull number DE-169 and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on August 10, 1945. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 216 men on board and had the main missions in Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Hampton Roads, Bizerte, Casablanca, Oran, Cuba, Hawaii, Ulithi, Okinawa, Florida, the Marianas or San Diego. After the decommissioning, the ship was transferred first to Japan in 1955 where it was renamed JDS Hatsuhi and then to Philippine where it was renamed Rajah Humabon. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Atherton received one battle star.
55 years old