The USS Basilan was a miscellaneous auxiliary ship belonging to the Basilan-class that was acquired by the U.S. Navy to be used for World War II operations. It was initially designed to be used as a combined barracks-stores-water distillation ship, but the ship later underwent conversion and it was used as an electronics repair ship. While under the Navy’s command, the ship spent its time in the Pacific theatre of operations. The USS Basilan was laid down at the Delta Shipbuilding Corporation in February 1944 under a MARCOM contract but the urgent need for self-propelled special barracks-stores ships lead to this ship being allocated for conversion and delivered to the Navy in April the same year. The ship operated on the East Coast until the end of the year and, after minor engine repairs, the USS Basilan sailed for the Pacific theatre to take on its support ship duties in the Caroline Islands and later, as the Pacific War progressed, the Philippine waters. After the war ended, the USS Basilan was scheduled for inactivation but it received new orders and it was assigned to Joint Task Force 1 and sent to take part in the atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll as part of “Operation Crossroads”. The ship was never ultimately employed in Crossroads and, as such, it was decommissioned and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, California, where it remained until June 1972, at which point it was sold for scrapping.