The USS Biscayne (AVP-11), later AGC-18, was a United States Navy Barnegat-class seaplane tender in commission as a seaplane tender from 1941 to 1943 and as an amphibious force flagship from 1943 to 1946. It saw service during World War II. The ship was laid down on 27 October 1939 at Puget Sound Navy Yard in Bremerton, Washington; launched on 23 May 1941; and commissioned on 3 July 1941 with Lieutenant Commander C. C. Champion, Jr., in command. Transferred to the United States Coast Guard after the war, the ship was in commission as the Coast Guard cutter USCGC Dexter (WAGC-385), later WAVP-385 and WHEC-385, from 1946 to 1952 and from 1958 to 1968. Until the 1970s, asbestos was widely utilized in shipbuilding. It was utilized to insulate pipes, boilers, and other equipment in the engine room. There was extremely limited ventilation below the deck, especially in the engine room sections. As a result, there was a possibility of hazardous asbestos fibers becoming airborne in a restricted area. Furthermore, little or no protection was worn while asbestos fixtures were repaired or replaced. Asbestos-related illnesses such as asbestosis, mesothelioma, and lung cancer are caused by the inhalation of these fibers.