USS Brooklyn was a Brooklyn-class light cruiser laid down on March 12, 1935 and launched on November 30, the following year. It was commissioned on September 30, 1937 under Capt. W. D. Brereton’s command with the hull number CL-40 and served in the US Navy for 10 years until it was decommissioned on January 3, 1947. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 868 people on board and had the main missions in Guantanamo, Philadelphia, Bermuda, Norfolk, Fedhala or Casablanca. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on January 22, 1951 and sold to Chile in 1951 where it was renamed O’Higgins. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Brooklyn received 4 battle stars.