The USS Cannon (DE-99) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort launched on May 25, 1943. It was commissioned on September 26, the same year under Lt. Comdr. G. Morris’ command with the hull number DE-99, and served in the U.S. Navy for 1 year until it was decommissioned on December 19, 1944. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 186 men on board and had its main missions in Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and Gibraltar. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on July 20, 1953, and then transferred to Brazil where it was renamed Baependi. The magnitude of asbestos use in the ships that the U.S. Navy built from the 1930s through the 1970s was extremely high. For example, a World War II-era destroyer is estimated to have contained more than 95,000 pounds of asbestos-based insulation. According to naval records and repair logs, naval shipyards are estimated to have used between 100,000 and 500,000 pounds of asbestos products per month for new ships built during World War II.