The USS Carlson (BDE-9/DE-9) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort launched on May 10, 1943. It was commissioned on May 10, the same year under Lt. H. E. Purdy’s command with the hull number DE-9 and served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on December 10, 1945. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 198 people on board and had its main missions in California, Boston, Kerama Retto, the Solomons, Espiritu Santo, Norfolk, Guadalcanal, Leyte, Eniwetok, San Pedro, Okinawa, Saipan, Ulithi, and the Philippines. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List and sold for scrapping the following year. As a result of these cost-effective production costs - when compared to similar materials that were in place when it was introduced - materials containing asbestos were quickly adopted by the shipbuilding industry between World War II and the late-1970 and used in large quantities. The companies that manufactured, installed, and sold asbestos products had knowledge dating back to the 1930s that asbestos exposure causes serious illnesses. It wasn't until decades later that the manufacturers notified the public about the dangers of asbestos.