USS Cecil was a Bayfield-class attack transport laid down on June 24, 1943 and launched on September 27, the same year. It was commissioned on September 15, 1944 under Capt. P. G. Hale’s command with the hull number APA-96 and it served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on May 24, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 575 people onboard and had the main missions in San Pedro, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Eniwetok, Saipan, Tulagi, Espiritu Santo or Norfolk. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List and later sold to Isthmian Steamhip Company where it was renamed Steel Admiral. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Cecil received two battle stars.